The designation of a cultural trail in the eastern districts of the city is one step further. Burghers find out what grobwenkheim, kleinwenkheim and wermerichshausen have to offer. Also present was dr. Anika magath from the institute for cultural landscape research in lower franconia at the university of wurzburg / archaological spessart project e.V..
In grobwenkheim, city councilor arno schlembach (CSU) mentioned that the wenkheim district (i.E. Grobwenkheim and kleinwenkheim together) was to be rezoned on 19 january 2007. April 788 was mentioned for the first time in documents. The village used to be protected by four gates. The last one, the "baumgartentor in the direction of seubrigshausen, was demolished in 1941 as an obstacle to traffic. It had last served as a poorhouse. In the old village center, there were largely double to quadruple farms in earlier times.
The rough soldier – and his rough wife
From grobwenkheim comes the recently deceased bishop of speyer, dr. Anton schlembach (from 1983 to 2007). He was born in 1932 in grobwenkheim and spent his childhood here. Arno schlembach also did not forget that a burgher from grobwenkheim was once the most senior soldier in the bavarian army. Oswald balling, born in 1876, served from 1896-1898 with the royal infantry regiment in munich and measured 2.18 meters. His wife albina was a stately 1.96 meters tall.
Grobwenkheim, which has about 700 inhabitants, had its own school and brewery. That is the past. The former town hall is roughly used by the fire department and the bayern fan club. Arno schlembach is pleased about an active club life with 14 clubs at present. The carnival club, the singing club and the guardian club have been dissolved due to problems with the recruitment of new members.
He is very satisfied with the infrastructure, because there is a shopping market, an inn with an attractive beer garden, a butcher’s store and a bakery branch. The elisabethenverein is the sponsor of the kindergarten, which has a waiting list. Interest in vacant lots in the new construction area is high. When vacant lots in the old town are put up for sale, the buildings are revived after a very short time "that’s very pleasing".
Cathedral of the vorrhon
In the "dome of the vorrhon the aforementioned parish church of maria himmelfahrt was taken over by churchwarden burkhard ziegler. The baroque church dear to 41. Abbot of bildhausen, bonifaz gessner, born in grobwenkheim in 1699, built between 1765 and 1772. Among many other artistic treasures, the ceiling paintings by johann peter herrlein are particularly worth seeing.
In kleinwenkheim, city councilor oliver jurk (CSU) buried the guests. The village, including the inhabitants of maria bildhausen, has about 500 inhabitants. There are several clubs, the singing club is currently in disbandment. The vereinsring, consisting of the fire department and the music club, organizes the popular and well known carnival.
Former brewery and forge
In the past, the district had a municipal brewery, a bakery, a blacksmith’s shop, a cattle weigh-house, a goose garden. The buildings themselves are still partly present. There was a "children’s institution", run by sisters from 1897 to 1953 and originally donated by a wealthy family from the village. She also donated some monuments in the village, such as the 14 stations of the cross in the cemetery.
Attractions for a cultural trail could be the still existing two draw wells in the village. In the past they were used for drinking water supply and as drinking troughs for the cattle. "The special form of the draw wells probably comes from the hungarian, but this is not investigated more closely" said jurk.
Main altar is missing
1588 the burghers began the construction of a new church. It was finished in the following year, but was not consecrated until 1615. It is currently closed for tree fishing. The side altars come from the church of the bildhausen monastery, which was torn down after the secularization. Jurk also noted that during a remodeling in 1964 and 1965, the main altar was dismantled and never reappeared afterwards.
Sandstone as an export hit
In wermerichshausen, local speaker ulla muller (CSU) showed what her district has to offer as part of a cultural trail. The village, which was first mentioned in 1057, currently has 240 inhabitants. Its character is made up of three-sided courtyards, beautiful stone gates, listed houses, wayside shrines, stone crosses and holy houses. There were sandstone quarries in the village where up to 50 workers were employed around 1900. The green, relatively soft sandstone was particularly well suited for high-quality sculptural work. It was delivered to wurzburg, where it was used for the construction and renovation of the residence. The stonecutters who worked there became "the savage race" the cemetery is named because they had a difficult and dangerous job, they were rough with each other and they were also very fond of alcohol. Therefore, during the bleeding time of the steinhauer around 1900, the village had no less than four inns, two dance halls and a brewery.
Social life in the village today is dominated by three associations. The church in the district is dedicated to st. Vitus; the oldest parts of the building are said to date back to the tenth and eleventh centuries, as fridolin weigand explained. The baroque organ with rococo carving was installed in 1750 and is classified as a monument. The altarpiece with st. Vitus from 1615 came from rannungen to wermerichshausen in 1933. During the last renovation of the church in 1999, the leaning steeple was straightened. Worth seeing in the cemetery are, among other things, the golgotha group and the cemetery wall with the ancient tombstones. So far, there are about 100 well-described cultural trails throughout lower franconia and soon probably in munnerstadt as well. How to proceed will be discussed at the next meeting.